Anyone who has a tankless water heater can attest – while the energy consumption (compared to a standard tank heater) is considerably lower, these systems tend to be rather unreliable when it comes to temperature control and maintenance itself.
ISI Technology inventors claim they might just have the solution with their new technologically advanced HEATWORKS MODEL 1 digital water heater that can save up to 40% of your water heating costs. The company has just risen over $2 million in seed money and is planning a national product roll-out later this year.
The CEO Jerry Callahan says:
People have become resigned to a mediocre hot water experience, where water takes minutes to heat and changes temperatures without warning. The Heatworks Model 1 is the world’s first digital water heater, with a pioneering architecture that reliably provides hot water when you need it, at the exact temperature you like.
The key improvements of Heatworks model over the conventional water heater:
- Patented Direct Electrical Resistance (DER) process which heats the water using graphite electrodes to leverage water’s natural resistance to directly heat the water molecules. This differs from the traditional tankless heater technology using a coil which frequently burns out or breaks in as little as 12 months.
- Instead of heating (and re-heating) a water tank, only the exact amount of electricity is used to heat the water to the desired temperature and to provide an endless supply of hot water on demand.
- Digital temperature control via a solid-state microprocessor and sensors which constantly measures and auto-adjusts power for precise, stable temperature.
- Instant hot water eliminates the inefficiency of waiting for hot water, saving up to 40 percent of energy and 10 percent of water. Inventors claim each unit is capable of delivering two gallons of hot water per minute.
- Smart homes will integrate easily with the heater’s Wi-fi connectivity for easy monitoring of power usage and water temperature of individually located units.
- It’s tiny. Measuring a mere 12.5 inches by 6.5 inches, the compact size reduces required space and can fit under a cabinet. Caveat? You’ll need to install multiple units to provide on-demand hot water throughout the home.
Easy to Adapt and Multiple Applications
The heater can be used to replace your old water heater in a home, or hooked up to the existing gas or electric tank to double the amount of effective hot water the household receives.
The way MODEL 1 is designed right now it can be installed anywhere along the hot water piping, even far away from the existing water heater, (i.e. master bathroom or an outdoor shower). In addition, because it uses electricity it can be easily used in a solar powered home.
Once the production begins, the Heatworks MODEL 1 water heater will retail at $395. Whether that is a viable option for your home (considering you’ll need to purchase multiple units) or not will depend on your existing setup, hot water needs, and any long term savings you would benefit from with the Heatworks model.
To learn more watch the video below or visit the Heatworks site.